All Decked Out…
Well, the land of home improvement is still ripe with activity!
On Saturday, Randy and Jack helped Steve to jackhammer away the concrete step so we could build a deck in its place. I helped with some sledge hammering, until I almost hammered my toe and Steve took away my hammer. I was no longer allowed to play with destructive tools. I did have a rush of power from sledge hammering concrete—it was fun. Of course, my hands were so sore, that I couldn’t grip well for three days, but such is the price of heavy labor. The boys reached an impasse with the sledgehammer and headed to the Depot to rent a jackhammer. Massive destruction ensued! I went about painting the downstairs powder bathroom and Dee (Steve’s mom) cooked up a Mexican buffet for lunch---taquitos, homemade guacamole and chips(don’t get me started on this stuff-I think I’ve gained 5 pounds from guacamole!), beans, rice—delicious!
Sunday, we spent furniture looking and bought an entertainment center for the loft. It’s delivery is long complicated pain-in-the butt story of which I will not go into details. It will bore everyone, but it is fodder for a complaint letter to American Furniture Warehouse. Hell hath no fury like Hannah with the mighty pen! (not to be a bragger, but my complaints letters have resulted in the following: a free Guess watch, a free box of Cheez-its, 12 cans of Delmonte Green Beans and a $50 gift certificate to Benchmark Furniture). So, American Furniture Warehouse better watch out---mess with the bull and get the horns!!! But, thanks again to Jack, Randy, Kenji and Steve, the new piece is resting happily in the loft. I painted the recessed wall in the loft on Monday night and hope to finish that up this weekend. I might also tackle the upstairs hallway if I’m feeling full of painting gusto.
Wednesday night, the gang of guys returned to our house for more deck work. An auger was rented and holes were dug. It was a fun process to watch! Last night, concrete pouring took place, but was much more time-consuming than first expected. We’ve still got 4 holes to pour. The gang will be out again tonight to hopefully finish up hole pouring.
Craig (Steve’s dad) and Bowzer (Steve’s canine brother) are driving across Kansas as I type, for a visit. Steve and Craig will work on the deck and all sorts of other household projects over the next week. Bowzer will become our adopted dog as he has been so rudely excluded from the Florida condo where Craig and Dee plan to enjoy Craig’s retirement this winter (pets are not allowed at this cond0 :( ). So, he will join Dulcie cat as one of our spoiled pets. I’m not so sure how the cat will respond. I’m planning for a major freak out, followed by calm. Only time will tell. The only dog meeting she has had since I've owned her was when Otter (Karrin and Brad's gentle giant) came bounding into our apartment and wanted to play with her. She was not reciperating his enthusiam and that was the first time I heard her hiss. My Dulcie ain't the 'playin' kind. haha
On Tuesday night, Steve and I went to see Ben Folds in concert. Ben was great and we had a super fun time, even though he didn’t play our song (The Luckiest). It took almost 2 ½ hours for the openers to be done before he came on stage. We had to stand the whole time, which was for the birds, but we still had a good time.
My boss gave me tickets to a pre-season Bronco game this Saturday. We bought two more tickets for Craig and Dee to come. My first real professional football game—should be fun!!
My ma and pa will come out for a visit next Thursday!!! While here, they will help with the finishing touches of the deck and sightsee. We will also go try on wedding dresses for the first time. Yay!!!
It’s been great having Dee here—she has been super helpful with cleaning the house and being home for all of the 80 trazillion delievery guys/workmen. We’ve enjoyed having her!
Oh—major kudos to DR. SHALYN CLAGGETT! Dr. Shay received passage for her dissertation last week at Vanderbilt University. She is now a bon-i-fide Ph.D. This is her lifelong dream, come true and I couldn’t be prouder of her. Yay for Shalyn!
Well, I better get to work. I’m sure I’ve left a million things out, but such is life. We’re keeping busy, working hard and making our house a home (awwh…how sweet!).
Hope everyone is doing great. Love you!
Hannah
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home